Reimatec: Waterproof, breathable and durable kidswear
Water out, comfort in
Feeling fine, come rain or shine
What makes Reimatec clothes special?
Reimatec is waterproof
- In Reimatec clothes, there is a waterproof coating on the inside of the fabric. It is full of very tiny pores, so it is breathable too.
- If you choose Reimatec with taped seams, there is usually no need for other rain wear.
Reimatec is breathable
- Reimatec breathes, which means it lets body moisture evaporate to the outside. This is important to avoid chills, as wet skin cools down 25 times faster than dry skin.
What is special about Reimatec accessories and shoes?
- In Reimatec mittens, gloves and shoes, there is a waterproof insert between the shell and the lining.
- The coating and insert are of made polyurethane. They contain no fluorocarbons.
What makes Reimatec products easy-care?
- A DWR (durable water repellency) finish on the surface of the Reimatec fabric repels water and dirt, so there's less laundry: very often you can just wipe the garment clean.
- Reima produces all garments without fluorocarbons, to protect the environment.
What does "waterproof" really mean?
The effectiveness of waterproof Reimatec clothes often depends on how they're used. When it's raining, the clothes need to be zipped up to keep as much water out as possible. Reimatec jackets, snowsuits and pants also need to be stored correctly – hung on hangers, not folded in piles - to avoid damage to the material.
We offer several levels of waterproof Reimatec products, and our handy water pillar symbols can help you choose the one that's right for your kids, whether they are playing in the rain, or jumping through puddles.
How are waterproof Reimatec clothes made?
To keep your kids safe and dry, we apply a safe, non-toxic polyurethane coating to waterproof our Reimatec fabrics. This thin protective membrane is on the inside of the fabric. It may be invisible, but it's tough! To finalise the waterproof performance of the Reimatec outerwear, we tape the seams from the inside using a flexible polyurethane tape. This seals the tiny stitching holes and makes them waterproof. In other cases, like Reimatec gloves, mittens and shoes, we add a specially-designed waterproof, yet breathable polyurethane insert between the outer layer and the lining.
How can waterproof Reimatec clothes allow breathability?
Creating a waterproof and breathable Reimatec coat may seem like magic, but finding this balance is all thanks to microporous polyurethane. With pores large enough to let water vapor pass outwards, but small enough to keep rain and water out, this safe material offers the best protection and comfort for active kids.
Safety and comfort
Protecting the health of children is our top priority. That's why we refuse to use fluorocarbons in our clothes. While they are effective in making water-repellent or waterproof products, fluorocarbons can accumulate in the environment, be harmful to living organisms and eventually also harm the health of our children. PU (polyurethane) as a textile membrane or coating is a harmless and safe option.